January 24, 2013

A Thankful Heart

I have learned a lot about God's character over the years. I have read the Psalms, which proclaim praise for who God is. I have witnessed God's character at work countless times. I have personally seen and experienced God's character being put on display in my life. And for all of these things, I am thankful.

***

But in the moment, when life is stressful, haphazard, and unpredictable, I often have a hard time looking at my circumstances and saying "Yes - God is obviously teaching me _____."

I seem only able to look back on things that have already happened in my life and point out where I can now see that God has worked and how that has impacted me.

***

So, I'm thankful for what I have learned about God and the way he has woven together my life to continually reveal himself to me.

***

But, I am also thankful for those times (good and bad) when what I am experiencing points so clearly back to the One who has created those experiences - even as I am still in the midst of the chaos.

My life - at this moment - is one of those times when God is continually making himself known to me. I can clearly see his faithfulness and goodness being proclaimed into my life and through my current circumstances. I am enabled to praise him in the good times, and praise him in the bad.

***

The Lord always seems to make his faithfulness and goodness known to me, despite my stubborn nature and unwillingness to see him in my circumstances.

And I am always left with a thankful heart.

***

They shall come and sing aloud on the height of Zion,
and they shall be radiant over the goodness of the LORD,
over the grain, the wine, and the oil,
and over the young of the flock and the herd;
their life shall be like a watered garden,
and they shall languish no more.
Then shall the young women rejoice in the dance,
and the young men and the old shall be merry.
I will turn their mourning into joy;
I will comfort them, and give them gladness for sorrow.
I will feast the soul of the priests with abundance,
and my people shall be satisfied with my goodness,
declares the LORD.”
Jeremiah 31:12-14

No comments:

Post a Comment